Today was update day:
- WordPress 4.2
- Twenty Fifteen theme 1.1
Everything went smoothly. According to this support thread the WordPress update wasn’t hassle-free for some Twenty Fifteen users, but no issues here so far.
All my customizations survived the theme update, without the need to rewrite a single line of code. It paid out that all the modifications were neatly stuffed away in the child theme folder 🙂
If you’re not sure if you didn’t make any modifications to some original theme files, just do the following:
- Download the theme update (for example Twenty Fifteen) to disk, unzip it. Do not install for the moment.
- Open the
wp-contentfolder of your site via FTP, or download it to disk.
- Check the files of your site’s
wp-contentfor any unusual “out-of-order” modification dates.
- If you find one, compare it against the corresponding file in the update folder. (With a diff tool or with the diff function of your text editor.)
- Copy any found customized line that you want to keep to the updated file. (Make sure that you are not going to revert updated content!) Or better: Take the chance and transfer any found customization to your child theme.
- Upload the updated and modified theme.